Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cross Training

Alright alright so we all know it is important to cross train.  Blah blah blah.  Knowing this information I would do some things other then run.  I occasionally would swim, shovel the drive (it is winter here you know), 30 day shred, bike etc.  The key word here was occasionally.  I kinda told myself that if I did these things periodical along with the running I would be good.  Not to long ago a friend in my online running group posted a comment about how she had been doing her cross training every week for the last 5 weeks and she has noticed a difference.  She was feeling strong and her running was improving.   hhhhmmm

As everyone who would listen to me knows my treadmill is a no go until I can get a new one.  Which means I have been hitting the gym.  Ok let me be honest it sucks waking up at 5am every single morning, I mean really sucks!   That said while I have to drive 20 min to get to my gym I figured I better make the most of it.  So I started lifting weights as well.   Last Friday I discovered that the gym has a total body workout class on Mon. and Wed. mornings.  After reading that post in my running moms group and seeing that there was a class that was on my non running days I thought ok it is time for the cross training thing to begin for real... not just occasionally. 

This was my first week and I got my ass kicked on Monday.  I knew the workout was tough while I was doing it and I was glad it was hard.  I felt like I was accomplishing something.  Then night hit and I had some muscle pain.  When morning came and I went to get out of bed to go run... omg I was in pain.  I could hardly get down my stairs.  My ass and legs were feeling it big time!  In fact I can say with 100% certainty that, that was the most pain I have ever been in after a workout.   I somehow made it to the gym to run.  It was not a good run though.  I needed to take a walk break at just 3 min. in and unfortunately it did not get much better.  Run 3 min walk 1 min, run 3.5 min walk a 1 min. you get the point.  The measly two miles felt like 5 miles it was just dragging on.  It sucked!   That said I was so glad that I went and I felt a sense of accomplishment throughout the whole day.

Last night I was still sore and actually took Motrin to ease the pain.  I then was debating on whether or not to go this morning.  Maybe I should ease into this cross training thing a little more.  Take it slow, one a week was more then I was doing last week and I could always add the Wed. class once the Monday class gets a little easier.  I did not sleep well all night still thinking about what I should do... to go or not to go.  Then the alarm went off and I was sure I was going to just roll over and sleep some more but after about 5 min of laying in bed I had to pee.  Of course once I got out of bed to pee I just got dressed popped some Motrin and off I went.  Apparently I am more dedicated to this working out thing then I give myself credit for.  The Motrin worked.  It was a good workout and of course I am completely happy that I went. 

It blows my mind how someone who runs 3/4 times a week can be so out of shape.  How can that be?  lol  Apparently I needed this cross training more then I ever dreamed.  This is only week one but I hope that 5 weeks from now I can post a comment similar to the one my friend posted in our running moms group.  (thanks for inspiring me Jill)

No comments:

Post a Comment