Tuesday, January 18, 2011

on the road again... well treadmill anyways

Well along with ringing in this new year with a 5k I apparently also rang it in with a muscle strain in my right groin area.   Dr. says it is a pulled or strained groin physical therapist thinks it is a hip flexor injury possibly.  Who knows but already having issues with bulging disks in my back I was feeling a little bit... I don't know gimpy?!?!   I knew that I had to take it easy and since I don't have any races or anything coming up I figured this is the best time if any to be on the IR list.  Other then one quick 1 mile run just to see how the strained muscle was doing, I had not run in 16 days.  YIKES! 
Don't think I was sitting back doing nothing for those 16 days though, haha I wish I had been though.   My husband got word from his work that he would have to go to Mexico for a week.  My family is not used to my husband having to travel.  Sure he has gone away for a weekend before but never for a whole week, so the days leading up to his departure the family all hung out which was sooo nice.  Then he left... and single parent mode kicked in. 
Just a few short hrs after he was gone I realize my Owen is (6) is sick with a fever which lasts two days.  Unable to go to school I spent those two days waiting on him hand and foot.   This illness of Owens also landed a phone call to poison control when I accidentally gave him two doses of a decongestant instead of one.  Thankfully the poison control operator was able to make me feel so much better when he reassured me that the kid had no where near harmful levels in his system.  I can not help but wonder if the overdose on decongestant is what caused Owens nose bleed two days later that would not stop bleeding for over 40 min.  uuuggg that was fun!
Then there was the huge project Cooper had to do for school.  The kid had to make a musical instrument that was able to change pitches.  SERIOUSLY?!?!  Come on now these kids are 8!  Of course the instrument Coop chose required saws, drills, spay paint etc.  Yeah like I am going to let my kid lose with power tools... this family project quickly became "a parent project"  Ryan before he left took care of building it with him but I was in charge of getting the huge poster together with him.  Since I already completed third grade this annoyed me more then I can tell you!
Then there was the dreaded phone call from Coops teacher in the middle of the week saying that he was not behaving in class.  His talkativeness and lack of attentiveness had gotten his seat moved to the front of the room.  First time ever getting a negative report about this child and it had to happen while dad was gone... oh lord!  At least when she called she made a point to tell me how wonderful Coopers project and poster was.  ~hahaha
I better not overlook the snow storm that we had too.  Back issues and a shovel... lets just say that was not a whole lot of fun.  To make it worse I watch kids out of my house and I had 3 children under the age of 3 trying to help me.  Their idea of help is definitely NOT my idea of help.  Fortunately the neighbor across the street noticed me give up only half way through and brought his snow blower over to finish up the job.  (Thank you MR. Will you ROCK!)   Had Ryan been home the drive would have been done in just a few short min. because we do have a snow blower, I just have never gone through the formal training on how to use it. 
One of the nights he was gone I had to take all the kids to Coopers cub scout meeting.  Now normally I would not have taken all the kids to such an event because it lasts way past Jackson's bed time.  In a normal situation Ryan or I would take him and the other would stay home with the other two children.  I thought about not going at all and just skipping it but Cooper was being recognised this night for his hard work fund raising.  So camera in hand I head out the door with the three boys.  Of course when I get there I realize the memory card is not in the camera.  For the love of God can I not catch a break?  As if that is not enough while we are there another parent says to me...  "two coworkers of my husbands went to Mexico for work and they got shot just while eating dinner.  It is very dangerous"   ~uhhh are you kidding me?  Some people should make a conscious effort to actually think before they let words fall out of their mouths.  Not helping lady, not helping!
My physical therapy was supposed to start two days a week this week.  With Ryan being gone and my parents visiting my brother out of state I had to cancel one of the appointments.  Thank goodness my in laws were gracious enough to come over and watch the kids one of the nights so I did not have to miss both apts. 
Of course I wanted Ryan to come home to a clean house so every night once the kids went to bed I would bust out the cleaning supplies and bust ass getting as much as I could done before I had to get to bed.  I did great in this department and came up with 3 garbage bags worth of stuff to throw away.  I always feel so much better when the house is clean despite whatever is going on around me. 
The day Ryan came home I took the kids to get hair cuts, the kids wanted to get him flowers, (I got him beer) we made a poster and we baked cookies and when we knew he was close we hid under the table and shouted surprise when he walked in. 
So as you can see I was not just sitting on my butt eating Bon Bons this whole time I was taking a break from running.  Ryan is home now, thank God, and I am getting back into it slowly.  I was able to run 1.5 today and unfortunately the strained muscle is killing me now but was not horrible until 3/4 a mile in while I was running today.  I hope that with stretching and ice I can get this thing under control.  I also got in a mile walk and the 30 day shred.  Doing the 30 day shred I realize that my arms must be made of jello or wet noodles, and I do not even own weights so I was using 1lb soup cans.   Note to self get butt back in the gym for some weight training.   hahaah

No comments:

Post a Comment