Friday, July 29, 2011

Warrior Dash

This is the week the week I have been waiting for, for the last 5 months.  MI Warrior Dash week is finally here!  The excitement is supposed to be brewing and plans for what crazy outfit to wear is supposed to be in place.  Only this is not the case for me.  This long anticipated race has brought me nothing but doubt and disappointment this week. 

A month or so ago my son Cooper asked us if he could apply for a scholarship to go to church camp.  I said yes, he did his project, won the scholarship and then we find out that the first day of camp is the same day as the Warrior Dash.  Struggling to figure out how on earth we could do both I got lucky when a friend offered to go to the race and watch Cooper there so that way we could just leave from the race to go to camp.  Excitement grew as I think to myself that I have this all figured out.  Sure Ryan and I would be dropping Coop off looking like mud monkeys but as long as Coop was ok with it then we were too.

I spent the last few months with some nasty shoulder/arm pain.  The Dr. said it was a bicep tendon issue, gave me some anti inflammatory and sent me on my way.  I laid off of any weight lifting for well over a month and the arm started to feel much better.  Feeling positive I started using the arm more and more but I started getting pain back.  This past 4th of July is when I think I finally realized something a whole lot more serious was going on.  The family was getting ready to go up north on vacation for the holiday and so I decided to wash the floor and the windows.  Less then 24 hrs later my arm was in a lot of pain again.  This pain was so intense that it lasted days even with Motrin.  It was so bad that I had trouble sleeping.  As soon as I got home I called the Dr. and made another apt.  That apt was this past Wed.  Concerned about the shoulder the Dr gave me a prescription for PT and told  me there was no way that I should be doing the Warrior Dash on Sunday.  Feeling torn I called my physical therapist and asked her what she thought and she made it very clear that it would not be in my best interest to participate in the race.  Still torn I asked my running moms group... same response.  Do not do it!  Stay home, go to PT, get better and then do it next yr.

Sounds like a no brainer right?  Not so much.  For some reason I am having a very hard time backing out of this race.  The thought of just not showing up to a race... "sigh"  makes me feel like a failure.  Plus I have been dying to get down and dirty for so many months now.  Of course there is the 90 bucks I spent for both Ryan and I to register that I would have to eat too and come on I worked it all out so that we could get Coop to camp on time.

Since Wed. I have gone back and forth with my decision to go or to just stay home and hang out with my little buddy before he heads to camp.  My mind kept changing from one min. to the next.  I even had some trouble sleeping because I could not stop thinking about it.  Totally stupid I know.  The last 24 hrs I was leaning toward not going but still wanted to hold out on saying it out loud... just in case I changed my mind again.   Then this morning as I was about to walk down the stairs my right big toe some how got caught on my pant leg sending me tumbling down the stairs. It has been a couple of hrs since my fall and I think my big toe is broken.  I can not put any pressure on it, not even to walk.  I am taking this as a sign that going to the Warrior Dash is not supposed to happen for me this yr.  So hear I am saying it out loud, I am sadly backing out of the Warrior Dash this yr.  I am disappointed sure but a little relieved that Sunday morning when my son wakes up I will have every second, until we leave him at camp, to spend with him. 

As far as my stupid toe goes... tonight Ryan and I are supposed to have date night to celebrate 13 yrs of being married... nothing says romance better then the ER! 

No comments:

Post a Comment