Tuesday, April 26, 2011

got gas?

Sitting approximately 12.5 miles away from my house is my local YMCA.   I drive to this Y 5 days a week.   Now I do know that there are several gyms within a 5 mile radius of my house that I could have joined but none had the vast amenities of the Y.  Most importantly the child watch and pool.  There is one place with the fancy pool and childcare slightly closer but it was 30 bucks a month more and well I was not willing to dig any deeper into my pockets.   The drive has never kept me away from the gym though, in fact I like the 20 min. of wake up time the drive provides me in the early morning.   I started hitting the Y routinely after my treadmill died a few months back.  Sure sure there were days that I could not go to the Y due to a typical MI winter but for the most part once that treadmill died I was there religiously.   That is until now... Today I did not hit that local gym, sadly I did not get to hear all the "good mornings" or see all the smiling faces that I have grown so used to seeing early in the morning, I did not drive in the rain to get my workout on.  Instead I set out this morning in the cold and rain to run outside.  Sadly I was about 5 steps into my run when a huge gust of cold wind hit me and I was second guessing my decision to not drive to the gym.   Why when someone who does not mind the drive, enjoys the people, has the time, etc would they choose to run in the cold, rainy weather?  Sticker shock people!  I would rather run in the cold rainy weather then to pass out from the sticker shock I would get at the pump.  What the hell is going on with these gas prices?  My word this price hike is outrageous!  The 25 mile round trip visit to my local Y each morning could potentially dry out this stay at home moms pocket book.  As a SHAM I already feel bad spending 80 bucks a month on a gym membership let alone spending over 200 a month to get there.  I figure if I can cut back on the gym 2 or three days a week (running days) then I should be able to save at least $100.00per month.  I know every mom needs to do a little something for herself but I also know that every mom wants nothing more then to be able to give back to her family and that's what I am going to do.  There is a disclaimer in this statement though... if by chance it snows again (don't hhhmmph me this is MI people stranger things have happened) or if the temp goes below 50* or of course if it is pouring.  Light rain is as far as I go.   Other then that I am running outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment