Saturday, November 27, 2010

15 day challenge results

Well Thursday was not only Thanksgiving but it was also the last day of my 15 day challenge.  The original challenge was supposed to be to put in 15 miles before Thanksgiving dinner, in the 15 days leading up to Thanksgiving.  I decided to take on this challenge but the very first weekend I had spoiled myself going out to eat and decided I better do a little better then just 15 miles.  I challenged myself to 30 miles in just 15 days instead.  Does not sound to bad, after all that is only 2 miles a day right?  Well since I changed the challenge for myself on the 4th day I only had 11 days left.  Oh and I only run about 4 days a week, so it was not as easy as it sounded.  Last week I put 18 miles of running in.  The most I had ever done in one week I was very proud of myself!
Thanksgiving day I was not at my 30 miles yet, I was sitting at 27.75 miles.    Earlier in the week I signed up to do a Thanksgiving virtual 5k (feed the turkey) through dailymile.  It was a great opportunity to get some miles logged in before the big dinner and also raise money for St. Jude's Children's research hospital.   I knew the night before that reaching my 30 mile goal was going to be a piece of cake now because I had committed to a 3.1 run in the morning.   So I decided to challenge myself one more time and aim for a PR of anything faster then 36:58 for my 5k in the morning.  To be honest I actually only did this because I knew I was going to be running on my treadmill and I knew I could keep track of exactly how far/fast I was going and be able to step it up a notch with just the press of a button if needed.   So anyways that morning I hopped on and ran 3.1 in 36:33.  I was very happy to have set a new PR for myself.  I had a great time running it and was so happy to be able to help out a good cause at the same time. 

I ended up finishing my 15 day challenge with over just over 30 miles, and I think that is very cool.

I hope everyone had a fun, safe holiday! 

2 comments: