Monday, November 22, 2010

Support from others runners is like no other!!!

I don't normally run with anyone.  In fact in the 5 months that I have been running I have only ever run with a partner 3 total times.   I guess I just do not go seeking out anyone to run with because I am new.  I do not run all that far or that fast for that matter and would hate to hold anyone back.  (that and of course I don't want to look stupid or weak)  My first two runs with partners went just fine but that is because they were runs with people who were training for the same event that I was.  Our running levels were just about the same.   Yesterday though I ran with a friend of mine who has already run a marathon.

Ashley (that is not her real name, I am just using that because she does not know I have a blog and intend on talking about her, just not sure how she would feel about that) and I met about two yrs ago probably at a cub scout event.  Her oldest son and my oldest son are scouts.  That said it was not until our younger sons met that we started talking.  Our younger boys are great friends and are in the same class at school together.  I heard through the grapevine that Ashley had been a marathon runner.  When she found out that I was running my first 5k she would always ask me how the training was going and offer words of encouragement. 

Both the 5k's that I ran I encouraged her to run them with me.  I knew that she was WAY above my skill level but I thought it would be fun if we did the race together.  Unfortunately Ashley spent the last 3 months in and out of the hospital sicker then a dog with Crohns disease.   She was not able to run for three months.
Then the other day her face book status said something like "I am back" and next thing you know I get a message saying "I am ready to run"   We made a plans to run together and yesterday was the day.

In the days leading up to the run she mentioned to me something about not being sure how far she would be able to go since she had not run in three months, but in the back of my mind I knew she was still going to be able to run circles around me.   We decided that I would set the pace and that we would just run for 5 min then walk for one min, and repeat until we were done.  Fortunately she has one of those fancy watches everyone but me seems to have...gosh I have to get me one of those!!      She took me on a trail that I had never run on before which was great!  I loved the change of scenery and the trail was nice.  (there was even a bathroom on the trail... how cool is that?  lol  Come on now if you are a runner you have been there, you know the whole slow down, look to both sides of you, and then behind you and if the way is clear you make a quick duck behind the nearest bush where you can drop your drawers and pee.  Yeah not so fun, so yes the bathroom excited me a bit).  Anyways, as soon as we get into it she notices how I am running and offers me suggestions on how to change my stride.  She said that the way I was running would cause strain to my legs.   UUMMM HELLLOO  seriously I have had leg pain since the day I started running.  Oh how I hope what she showed me helps, that would be amazing.  I tried running the way she suggested but every time I stopped focusing on it I would go back to the way I always had run before.  I corrected my stride several times throughout the run.  Just something I will have to work on.  If it works though I will be so grateful because this leg pain has got to go!    Since Ashley had the watch I had no idea what what kind of pace we were on or how much time had passed all I could do was just enjoy the run.  It was so nice just to be able to enjoy the scenery and the company I was with and not think about the numbers.  At one point in time not sure when, guessing about 3.5 miles into it Ashley yells out "I feel alive"  and I shout out "I am going to die"   lmao   I was feeling it big time at this point in time.   We finished up our run having gotten in 4.75 miles.  That included a little walking for a warm up and cool down.  Even with the walking we finished in 1hr and 54 sec. 
We got back to her house and I just looked at her and said... "who gets so sick that they are in and out of a hospital for three months and then just goes out one day and runs 4.5 miles.  Who does that"?    lol   Ashley does I guess!  Not only could she run it but I know she could have gone farther and probably faster.  She rocked it!  

Several times on the trail she would look at me and ask if I was ok.  Ha ha she was the one who was so ill she could not run for three months and yet she kept asking me if I was ok.  There is something simply amazing about runners that I have discovered in recent months.  I have not yet run into a runner who is not encouraging or supportive.  I don't know what it is exactly but the running community is like a family.  Everyone supports each other like we are all on the same team.  Even at races it is like this.  I think it is because even though it is a race the only person who you are really, truly competing against is yourself. 
I am not sure that I would still be running if it were not for my running friends at cafemom, dailymile or my new fav. running moms group on facebook.  With so much support it is actually hard to feel like a running failure. 

I will admit that I was intimidated by what Ashley has accomplished and was nervous about running with someone who was far more experienced then I was.  I however am so glad that I did not let that stop me from running with her.  If I was not with her I would have probably stopped running right about the time she told me she was "feeling alive" instead I pushed on for about another mile.  I would not have been given tips on how to change my stride either.  I would have missed out on a great run, on a great trail with great company for nothing.   Because like I said before, the support and encouragement from other runners is amazing.  I can not wait to run again with her!


On a side note, I found my shoes.  As I suspected it was the work of the little one who comes over to play.  I found them get this...stashed behind my couch.  This is how I know it was him, the area between the wall and the couch is so small only he can fit back there.  I should have thought about looking there long before I did.  I know he likes to go back there.   My total miles for my current challenge is 25.75  Less then 5 miles to go and I still have 3 more days!   3.1 of those miles is going to be part of a different challenge that I encourage all of you to take part in as well.  A charity event for St. Jude's children's hospital.  Here is the link check it out and join me in a virtual 5k!
http://www.dailymile.com/turkey_trot#participate

3 comments:

  1. First off, let me say Congratulations! You have accomplished so much and done so well. I am proud of you. You give me inspiration and encouragment and make me want to do more. I look up to you immensly.

    Good Luck! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww kelly, what a great post! i really enjoyed this! Im jealous you found a running buddy :-) And I agree about the online support of the running mom's! everyone keeps me motivated :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what I would do without my running buddy! Glad you found one, it helps to have someone motivate and challenge you. Kudos to you! I am also motivated by all the FB running moms posts too. :)

    ReplyDelete