Saturday, November 20, 2010

a few set backs this week

This week I had a few minor set backs in my running. 
First of all I have been dealing with this nagging annoying pain in my shins since I started running.  I am told that I just need to stretch, eat bananas, get new shoes, ice, and rest.  Guess what I have tried ALL of these things but still nothing seems to help the pain. Sure taking a couple days off helps but the min. I get back to running the pain comes back.  I ran track when I was a freshman in high school. (hated every single sec. of it and was probably the weakest link on the team) I think I spent the majority of the season in the big ice tank icing my legs.  I have ALWAYS had this stupid nagging shin issue.  I was told maybe yoga will help so tomorrow I plan on going out and getting a video.  At this point in time I will try anything. 
The kids set me back a little this week too.  Just this morning I woke up early to hop on the treadmill well apparently my idea of early was not early enough.  Sure enough just a half mile into my run I hear "hi mommy can I have breakfast now?"  I reply with a "not now dear let mommy run for a little while first".  At mile 2 and mile 3 I got asked the same question again.  At 3.5 miles when my 6 yr old came down and said "come ooon mom I am starving"  my response was "gosh darn i t! You guys are not even supposed to be awake yet...go get your own breakfast"   ha ha  (don't worry I got my ass off the treadmill and made them breakfast)  For a min. when I got off I was annoyed that I did not get to run as much as I had wanted but then I started thinking realistically and reminded myself that just two weeks ago I was struggling just to get my 3 miles in.  3.5 along with a half mile warm up was nothing to balk at.   I knew at that point in time I should stop my pity party.
Oh and let me not forget to tell you about Jackson my 3 yr old locking me out of the basement (where my treadmill is) because he was mad at me.   No joke!  He got made at me, looked at me, walked over to the basement door, looked at me again, opened the door, locked the door, made a "hummph" noise and then closed the door.  "Jackson" I ask "why did you just lock the basement door"?  "Because I am mad at you"  I found this to be very amusing.  So my response was "hhmmm Jackson you do realize that now that you have locked the door you can not get in their either?  Remember it is not just mommy's treadmill that is down there, your playroom is down there as well.  So I guess now you have no toys to play with".   Ha Ha his little plan backfired on himself.   That door stayed locked over 24 hrs until this morning when I picked it so I could run.   Bet he will not do that again. 
There is also a shoe issue.  Now this sabotage I am thinking is the work of my little one yr old friend who comes to play with us three days a week.  You see this little buddy of mine has been know to hide shoes.  In fact he does it ALL the time.  I usually am lucky enough to catch him in the act but this time I was not so lucky.  I guess I have no solid proof it was him, but I since I have caught him putting shoes in the garbage, the Lego tub, the shower, and trying to shove one in between the couch cushions (which was extremely funny since it was to big of a shoe to fit he threw a temper tantrum) I have no choice but to blame him for my missing kicks.  I know eventually they will turn up but who knows when or where.  In the mean time I will have to use an old pair of Nikes to get my miles in.
As of right now I am up to 21 miles in my quest to get in 30 miles before Thanksgiving dinner.  I have 5 more days to get in 9 miles.  I can do this!!

2 comments:

  1. You are kicking butt on your challenge! woohoo mama! I can NOT wait to hear about your Yoga experience. I really really love it. Before my foot/knee issue this week (which I really think was the incline walk, but im getting new shoes this coming week anyway since im due)Yoga solved those annoying twinges in my knees and shins. And it makes you feel graceful and strong. I swear by it. Thanks for the encouraging words on my blog! Ive been semi off grid with the computer virus and ear infections with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You CAN do this and you WILL do this! Good Luck. I support you 100%

    ReplyDelete